Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bob McCown Would Be So Proud Of Me

It's been a busy few weeks in the soccer world, with Chelsea winning the FA Cup and Manchester United losing to Barcelona in the Champions League final. The big soccer news continues this week, with me doing my best impersonation of Sir Alex Ferguson. Yes, that's right, I am the coach of team #18 in the 6 and under Fredericton District Soccer Association - the Monkeys! Tonight was the opening night, and it went alright. I think next week I'll try to inject more "fun" into the evening, and I expect I'll do a bit better job with the organization of it also. I forgot to bring a memory card with the camera, so no pictures! I'll try to remember to take some pictures next week.

The soccer was a topper to a busy day. I went on a 45 minute run with my buddy Drew during lunch. Tuesday's are a good day for me to do an easy lunchtime run, since Tuesday nights I often play an hour and a half of ball hockey. Although I don't track the ball hockey as "running time" in runningahead.com, I consider it to be speed or interval training. It involves lots of very fast running, with starts and stops, then taking breaks at the end of my shift, getting the heart rate down, before heading back to the floor to rev it up again. Plus, it's a lot of fun. I stink as a ball hockey player, but the guys are nice enough to keep inviting me back. I started playing with many of these guys sixteen years ago, before moving away for a couple of years. When I moved back, I didn't really get back into it, largely due to being quite out of shape. Well, last year, when I started running, I got back into it, and it's something I look forward to now. As the marathon training picks up this summer, I'll evaluate whether I keep going with the ball hockey. My 18 week marathon training plan begins the week of June 14th!

No comments:

Post a Comment