Thursday, June 25, 2009

Newsflash: I sweat. A lot.

I did a ten mile run this morning before work. I found it to be a bit of a challenge, and I'm not sure why. Could it be that only into my second week of the PEI marathon training plan that the effort is already catching up with me? Even after my 15 mile run on Sunday that felt so good?

Maybe it was because my previous run - "aerobic" 8 miles, followed by 10x100 strides - was at a pace a little too quick for my current level of fitness?

Maybe it had to do with only getting about 5.5 hours of sleep before waking up early for the run.

Perhaps the real reason for the foot-dragging, heavy-breathing, wishing-it-would-end, speeding-up-only-when-passing-dog-walkers-or-cars, pathetic-attempt-to-stick-with-plan run was the humidity. I don't need any extra help to perspire. I can sweat with the best of them. The humidity and mist this morning meant that somewhere between meters 200 and 230, I was practically drenched. Worse yet, my undergarment consisted of a pair of pre-2009/pre-running size XL cotton baggy boxer shorts. A bad choice for multiple reasons.

I hear rumors that losing weight can help you run better. Since I started this running thing a little over a year ago, my weight loss has been one of my biggest accomplishments. I have gone from somewhere around 230 pounds, to somewhere a little under 180 currently. Well, this morning I had roller coaster weight swings that would make Oprah Winfrey proud. To wit:

Pre-run weight: 178 pounds
Post-run weight, with clothes on: 182 pounds
Post-run weight, after ditching the clothes: 177 pounds

Looking forward to better runs this weekend!

10 miles - 9:35 min/mile pace

4 comments:

  1. There are lots of bad runs in a training cycle. Part of the package. Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those medium long mid-week runs always seemed to 'get' me too. Doing any races in July?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always accuse *me* of needing perfect conditions for a run... who's the whiner now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike - the only race I have planned for July is the half marathon in Miramichi next weekend, July 5th. After that, there are no plans to race again until a 10k or two in the fall, and maybe the half in Saint John.

    ReplyDelete